Re: Hyper-Threading Considered Harmful

From: D. J. Bernstein (djb_at_cr.yp.to)
Date: 05/14/05

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:11:39 +0000 (UTC)

Colin Andrew Percival wrote:
> I hope that other cryptographers, if they discover a problem which (a) is
> very easily exploitable, and (b) can be fixed (or worked around in the
> operating system), will follow the same approach as I took and allow
> vendors to prepare fixes before they publicly release the details of
> their work.

No. This shoot-the-messenger attitude is promoted by designers and
implementors who don't want to take responsibility for their errors. It
encourages sloppiness. In the long run, it hurts the users.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Leopard13 contest withdrawal !
    ... >> discover for himself that the cryptographic panacea he hawks really is ... cryptographers. ... This guy, however, persists in making mistake after ... attempting to modify RC4 is foolish. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: protecting folders or files ?
    ... >> Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect ... >> those areas of my harddisk. ... My operating system is Windows XP. ...
    (alt.computer.security)