Re: Hyper-Threading Considered Harmful

From: D. J. Bernstein (djb_at_cr.yp.to)
Date: 05/14/05

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:11:39 +0000 (UTC)

Colin Andrew Percival wrote:
> I hope that other cryptographers, if they discover a problem which (a) is
> very easily exploitable, and (b) can be fixed (or worked around in the
> operating system), will follow the same approach as I took and allow
> vendors to prepare fixes before they publicly release the details of
> their work.

No. This shoot-the-messenger attitude is promoted by designers and
implementors who don't want to take responsibility for their errors. It
encourages sloppiness. In the long run, it hurts the users.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago