Re: Hyper-Threading Considered Harmful

From: David Kanter (dkanter_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/13/05

Date: 13 May 2005 07:48:13 -0700

> Well, this attack only targets Hyper-Threading -- dual cores aren't
> a problem. (Ok, let me rephrase that: Dual cores might be a problem,
> but I don't have any evidence to suggest that they are.)
>
> Since the performance benefit of Hyper-Threading is fairly minimal
> on most of the applications which run on multi-user systems,
disabling
> htt isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
>
> > We'll have a brave new world of side channel attacks.
>
> We need to convince Intel and AMD to hire lots of cryptographers and
> get them involved in CPU design. :-)

I think you might find this article interesting:

http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=2527&Thread=1&roomID=11&entryID=35446

Apparently, AMD does not encrypt their BIOS update mechanisms.

David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hyper-Threading Considered Harmful
    ... (Ok, let me rephrase that: Dual cores might be a problem, ... "If the evidence doesn't seem to fit a particular conspiracy theory, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Advice for building a PC for Still photography
    ... I'm looking into building a PC for Still photography - Processing images ... with PhotoMechanic & Photoshop CS2 - Both programs can address dual cores. ... AMD 4200 X2 ... I used to always want a mobo with multiple PCI slots -(NIC, SCSI, Video, i/o ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Avistan Update 5: NIH Considers Trial Comparing Lucentis to Avistan
    ... The evidence for Avastin is largely anecdotal, ... but docs see their patients improve. ... AMD does not just ...
    (sci.med.vision)
  • Re: WOW, I need to upgrade BAD. Any suggestions??
    ... However, dual cores are ... I watched many a friend run right out and grab a ... Opterons on stock & high-end air down to a fine science over at the AMD ... getting out of these chips. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: building a PC for Still photography
    ... with PhotoMechanic & Photoshop CS2 Both programs can address dual cores. ... medium speed Dual core Processor ... Dual monitor Video card - I have no clue about ... Rawshooter des not support AMD processors, if that is something you use, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)