Re: Self Decrypting Archive Freeware?

From: mike (spamme0_at_netscape.net)
Date: 04/30/05

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:14:51 -0700

David Eather wrote:

> You don't need a Dos version - Dos as wee know it will not exist in 10
> years - you just need the file format that can be read by a then current
> compression program. A heap of freeware programs have that compatibility or
> just use the shareware WinZip - buy it if it makes you feel better.

This is absolutely FALSE!!!!!!
The medium that contains the archive will have the bootable dos that's
required to unarchive it. I don't need to care what's available in the
future. All I care about is that I have some old hardware that will run
what I already have stored on the medium. Gots lotsa old hardware ;-)

The problem with winzip is the win part. Yes, you can presumably
archive a copy of windows, but that's a bit much.
DOS is THE answer to all problems ;-)
I think I remember a dos version of pkzip that can do password
protection, but I can't find it.
mike