Re: Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard

From: keith (krw_at_att.bizzzz)
Date: 02/28/05

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:17:55 -0500

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:34:54 +0000, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:14:21 -0500 in alt.folklore.computers, keith
> <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:13:31 -0500, Bill Leary wrote:
>>
>>> "K Williams" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> This is why building prototypes always scared the hell out of me.
>>>
>>> I've heard a few too many times "That's great! Can't you just clean that up a
>>> bit and hook the real code into it?"
>>
>>I'm a hardware type (hate "programming"), but this *has* happened to me.
>>I once got the first widget working at 2:00AM, went home had a beer, a few
>>hours sleep, shower, and got in at 10ish. They had shipped the grungy
>>prototype, complete with *dozens* of wires (the layout guy was a litttle
>>lysdexic) to the customer. At least someone decided to copy the PLA
>>before shipping it.
>>
>>Needless to say, I was rather perturbed. "Ah hell, what are you worring
>>about?" "We'll just ship them a new set of cards next month." Grrr!
>
> I'm a software type (love programming) and this has happened to me
> with hardware.

Just to clarify... I "hate" programming, because I'm not good at it. I
like building widgets that I can see )a hard thing to make money at these
days). I rather liked PL/I, what I did of it, and assembler is really
banging hardware which is just fine. OTOH, I despise 'C'.

> Bought a Xerox laser printer with a remote SNA comm board allowing it to
> be connected to an IBM 37x5 FEP running NCP. RTFM, set the i/f card
> jumpers, setup the printer, FEP, host VTAM, and OS printer configs,
> power everything off, wire it all together, power it all on, everything
> comes up, but comms doesn't seem right and printing just won't work. Put
> in a call to our Xerox SE about the printer remote SNA comm board and
> get a call back from a guy at Xerox engineering, whose first question is
> "How the hell did you get a hold of that board?" Apparently neither the
> board nor docs had been approved for release even to domestic customers
> yet, and here we were in another country with one, asking for support.
> After giving him our customer, invoice, parts, and local Xerox contact
> info, he rung off, and must have made a few more irate phone calls,
> because we later got a call back from someone who helped us reconcile
> the actual board configuration and functions with the docs to get the
> printer up and running. Don't remember if we ever got an offer to swap
> out the board for an official rev, although it may have been done later
> by an FE.

I guess what's to be learned here is that when there's an invoice to be
sent...

--
  Keith