Re: Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard

From: keith (krw_at_att.bizzzz)
Date: 02/28/05

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:17:55 -0500

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:34:54 +0000, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:14:21 -0500 in alt.folklore.computers, keith
> <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:13:31 -0500, Bill Leary wrote:
>>
>>> "K Williams" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> This is why building prototypes always scared the hell out of me.
>>>
>>> I've heard a few too many times "That's great! Can't you just clean that up a
>>> bit and hook the real code into it?"
>>
>>I'm a hardware type (hate "programming"), but this *has* happened to me.
>>I once got the first widget working at 2:00AM, went home had a beer, a few
>>hours sleep, shower, and got in at 10ish. They had shipped the grungy
>>prototype, complete with *dozens* of wires (the layout guy was a litttle
>>lysdexic) to the customer. At least someone decided to copy the PLA
>>before shipping it.
>>
>>Needless to say, I was rather perturbed. "Ah hell, what are you worring
>>about?" "We'll just ship them a new set of cards next month." Grrr!
>
> I'm a software type (love programming) and this has happened to me
> with hardware.

Just to clarify... I "hate" programming, because I'm not good at it. I
like building widgets that I can see )a hard thing to make money at these
days). I rather liked PL/I, what I did of it, and assembler is really
banging hardware which is just fine. OTOH, I despise 'C'.

> Bought a Xerox laser printer with a remote SNA comm board allowing it to
> be connected to an IBM 37x5 FEP running NCP. RTFM, set the i/f card
> jumpers, setup the printer, FEP, host VTAM, and OS printer configs,
> power everything off, wire it all together, power it all on, everything
> comes up, but comms doesn't seem right and printing just won't work. Put
> in a call to our Xerox SE about the printer remote SNA comm board and
> get a call back from a guy at Xerox engineering, whose first question is
> "How the hell did you get a hold of that board?" Apparently neither the
> board nor docs had been approved for release even to domestic customers
> yet, and here we were in another country with one, asking for support.
> After giving him our customer, invoice, parts, and local Xerox contact
> info, he rung off, and must have made a few more irate phone calls,
> because we later got a call back from someone who helped us reconcile
> the actual board configuration and functions with the docs to get the
> printer up and running. Don't remember if we ever got an offer to swap
> out the board for an official rev, although it may have been done later
> by an FE.

I guess what's to be learned here is that when there's an invoice to be
sent...

--
  Keith

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Price XEROX iGEN 3
    ... Why should I TRUST you? ... I deal with quite a few people a Xerox at least once a week. ... I did not sign the agreements for the printers but I have no reason to not believe what my customer and Xerox tell me about this. ... But the customer makes more money too, as what they charge their customers is quite a bit larger than what they pay Xerox. ...
    (comp.sys.xerox)
  • Re: Security bug in Xerox Document Centre
    ... Each customer who would like to have one or more of these patches should contact their support organization. ... Xerox development teams take any security issue extremely seriously and are firmly committed to resolving them as soon as possible in order to continue to provide our customers with the most dependable network security available. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Xeroz 6250 Jam at fuser
    ... Xerox Jam at Fuser. ... care less about you as a customer. ... North American E-mail Support Team ...
    (comp.sys.xerox)
  • Re: Transportation For Data !!
    ... Think of it as adding products to tblProducts and then dynamically adding them directly to an invoice at the same time. ... bill to customers ... i use filter and all the product from [Invoice Marketing Bill to Customer] will be filtered and only products manufactured by Microsoft Industries Limited will be transferred from to. ... How to use transfer text or add data in a form based that based on a query to another form that based on a different query? ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Can (should) an auto number be set up on a invoice (report)?
    ... The staff takes the customer information (stored in the ... The staff then records what procedures the customer wants ... This table stores Customer ID, Concatenated Customer Name (separate query), ... Procedure, Cost, Sales Tax) except for the invoice number. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.reports)