Re: [Lit.] Buffer overruns

From: Douglas A. Gwyn (DAGwyn_at_null.net)
Date: 12/10/04

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:48:59 -0500

Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> He said C is sort of macro-assembler.

You took that out of context; he also said other
things that set the context. The *level* of C,
which traditionally means the conceptual distance
from the source text to the machine code, is
comparable to that of a macro assembler. Arnaud
said, as did I, that C is a low-level language
that lets/requires the programmer to make all
design decisions except for code generation. It
is the code-generation independence that is most
responsible for the potentially high portability
of C source code. It is the ability to twiddle
individual bits directly in specific locations
that makes C suitable for such system tasks as
device drivers. C is thus very malleable, and
whatever "safety" (and other) attributes an
application might have are not directly
attributable in the language, but are imposed
by the programmer(s).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Modified version of the Gray parser generator
    ... where that code appeared in the source code. ... Of course the context is going to be different as the standalone ... the parser source code itself which makes me wonder if we're talking ... think of is that Gray compiles the action when the source code is read ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Is ECMAScript really a dialect of Lisp?
    ... compiled or interpreted or even transformed into other source code) ... in that context within the overall LET-macro form. ... Step 1: Start up Common Lisp. ... produce pointy structure as return value ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button? (2010-08-13)
    ... september.org>, Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:14:45, Garrett Smith ... "A context menu may or may not be available.". ... If the FAQ subject line asks a question, then that question needs to be ... much less to viewing the source code. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button? (2010-08-13)
    ... september.org>, Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:16:51, Garrett Smith ... Suppressing the context menu provides very little deterrent to the user saving images, much less to viewing the source code. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button? (2010-08-13)
    ... Expectations of a program are a mental step past the type of analysis. ... "A context menu may or may not be available.". ... as explained and the answer should be applicable to both to the casual developer who wishes to prevent users from copying source code and to the developer who wishes to develop his own application context menu. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)