Re: Is reverse engineering legal ?

karl_m_at_acm.org
Date: 11/26/04

Date: 26 Nov 2004 13:42:20 -0800

David Eather wrote:
> karl_m@acm.org wrote:
> > Guy Macon wrote:

> >> IIRC, in Russia you can be thrown in jail for restricting the
> >> same info. I would have to look up the details.
> > Is this before or after the revolution of 1917? karl m
>
> I was told that the Russian situation is that the user has an
absolute right
> to make backups of their software and data - this has been
interpreted in
> many ways - which could include the possibility of strong legal
action if
> you tried to prevent the execution (err.. application) of a users
normal
> rights.

"What does it mean to take control of something??? Professor Lessig
offers the example of the loss of control by the Bolshevik party in the
Soviet Union in the early 1990s The leaders of the Soviet Union could
not be sure that new freedoms would produce the "flourishing
society" that communism was expected to deliver, as it had under the
leadership of party functionaries like Lenin and Stalin when the Soviet
Union was brought forward into the twentieth century from a life under
the Czar where a large number of peasants didn't even have a mule."
karl m

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Oil Prices Hit $100 a Barrel
    ... psychological personality problems. ... But regarding Reagan - whose intellectual endowments, I always felt, ... achieved the breakup of the Soviet Union - - They did, indeed, "take ... It was unable to maintain control, ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Neocon scum censor our scientists
    ... anti-science Neocons are really getting out of control. ... "It seems more like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union than the United ... States," said James E. Hansen, NASA's leading climate scientist. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Neocon scum censor our scientists
    ... anti-science Neocons are really getting out of control. ... "It seems more like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union than the United ... States," said James E. Hansen, NASA's leading climate scientist. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • OT: Neocon scum censor our scientists