Re: Is reverse engineering legal ?

From: David Eather (eather_at_tpg.com.au)
Date: 11/26/04

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:30:35 +1000

karl_m@acm.org wrote:
> Guy Macon wrote:
>> Mack wrote:
>>
>>> There was a big thing with a russian cryptographer who broke
>>> I think it was Adobe's (not sure on the company but it was a big
>>> one) copy protection scheme came to the U.S. for a conference and
>>> got thrown in jail. He did this in the course of his normal
>>> employment with a russian company that provides data
>>> recovery programs. So yes you can get arrested for breaking
>>> snake-oil stuff.
>>
>> IIRC, in Russia you can be thrown in jail for restricting the
>> same info. I would have to look up the details.
> Is this before or after the revolution of 1917? karl m

I was told that the Russian situation is that the user has an absolute right
to make backups of their software and data - this has been interpreted in
many ways - which could include the possibility of strong legal action if
you tried to prevent the execution (err.. application) of a users normal
rights.

Relevant Pages