Re: Is there any strong hand cipher?

From: Mxsmanic (mxsmanic_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:20:44 +0100

John Smith writes:

> I read in David Kahn's book that in the 50s and 60s the Soviets
> generated OTPs by having clerks type "randomly" on keyboards. Kahn's
> book states that the Soviets felt that these keyboard generated OTPs
> were "random enough."

They were right. VENONA was broken by the reuse of pads, not by any
lack of randomness in them, IIRC.

  • Re: One-Time_Pad
    ... But the Soviets managed to distribute their keys pretty effectively, ... But the Soviets apparently deliberately reused key pads at the ... OTPs seem awfully popular for something that is so difficult to use. ... > of the motivating factors in developing public-key cryptography. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: the FBI and 1 time pads
    ... > and because computers can't give us perfect randomness, ... > True OTPs are the strongest kind of encryption. ... > could predict it) and writing those numbers down to make one time pads. ... and this woman eventually, subconsciously, realized that the letters she ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: RC4 on AMD64
    ... Guy Macon wrote in ... > I would have expected someone to suggest it for OTPs, ... > the same problem with reuse. ... XOR is not the "combiner" traditionally used with one-time pads. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: In need of an EllipticCurve example (jdk1.5)
    ... their one-time pads -- not the entire pads, ... To make sure you never reuse a key, you load your CD worth of keys ... you wipe it multiple times, both to prevent someone stealing the ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)