Re: How about MD5(NewHash(DATA))?

From: JiXian Yang (YJX_OnLine_at_126.com)
Date: 10/31/04

Date: 31 Oct 2004 09:52:34 -0600

Tom St Denis <tomstdenis@iahu.ca> wrote:

>Why does this question come up every 6 months.
>
>Why would you think MD5 o MD5 would be stronger than MD5 [supposedly
>against finding collisions, though you could have meant against inversion]
>
>Tom

An MD5 collision can be found in a matter or hours.
In http://www.md5crk.com/, you can find the report.
It shows that finding a collision is not necessary to scan all the MD5
dictionary but to change the special bits when we have known the input.
So we must update MD5.
I wonder if MD5(NewHash(DATA)) is stronger than NewHash(DATA) when
NewHash(DATA) used the same quantity of bits.

  • Re: "Collision for Hash Functions MD4, MD5, HAVAL-128 and RIPEMD"
    ... this was the Year of Doom for cryptographic hash functions. ... These go into great detail on the SHA-0 and MD5 collisions ... Difficulty in the former is called "collision resistance", ... you probably meant to say was "I can find a *different* string whose ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Complex Theoretical One Way Hash Question
    ... where Fis a picture generation function. ... Breaking the first MD5 is a matter of a few seconds, ... collision, at least currently. ... for a single picture. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: SHA-0 Broken, MD5 Rumored Broken
    ... there are no attacks that demonstrate that MD5 is ... Collision resistance was a design goal for MD5. ... resistance, or 2nd preimage resistance. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Secure 128-bit hash?
    ... different initializing values IV1,2 ... If you can run only standard MD5, it is possible to obtain MD5 with other ... So we can use the construction ... I think this prevents all present collision attacks on ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Crypto Mini-FAQ
    ... > Given that RSA Labs is in some sense the owner of MD5, ... likely that a brute force collision will be found long before any other ... MD4 was designed to be at the edge, and MD5 was designed to be ... scientist in his right mind would advocate continued use of it. ...
    (sci.crypt)