Re: Data Compression Before or After Encryption ?

From: Douglas A. Gwyn (DAGwyn_at_null.net)
Date: 10/23/04

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:39:22 -0400

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> You did not understand what I wrote there ;)

What yu wrote was simply wrong.

> 128 bit compression will give the same compression before or after 128 bit
> AES ;)

That is also wrong.

> 8 bit compression however will give better compression before 128 bit AES <-
> that's my bet ;)

There is no need to "bet"; it's obvious if you understand
what compression does and what encryption does (in general
terms).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NSA and crypto
    ... then AES is so insecure that we're all ... own, nor compression followed by AES encryption, is adequate. ... You might object that the encryption or whitening mentioned above ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Thanks for your answer, David, but I dont work the snake oilers. My question was only about pre&
    ... encryption product I would call it Oil of Black Mamba ... Now I am not sure AES is safe. ... crypto even more. ... My Compression codehttp://bijective.dogma.net/ ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Data Compression Before or After Encryption ?
    ... The total numbe rof possible block inputs to AES is 2^128. ... >> I am on the verge of writing my own adaptive huffman data compression ... >> Because a good encryption algorithm should hide the fact that some ... >> Especially for huffman compression it is important that some characters ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: NSA and crypto
    ... then AES is so insecure that we're all ... own, nor compression followed by AES encryption, is adequate. ... You might object that the encryption or whitening mentioned above ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Question about ARC4 and Gzip
    ... Use AES. ... mode like CCM. ... might this make it easier to break the encryption? ... This means that there are a number of encryption and compression ...
    (sci.crypt)