Re: A quote concerning randomness

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen_at_t-online.de)
Date: 10/14/04

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:55:01 +0200

Joe Peschel wrote:

> What makes you think there are going to being any letters at all, despite
> mistakes in articles? You might also read Gwyn's message, "No, it's not
> even close to right. In any area where I have substantial expertise..." Do
> you still really believe that the absence of letters to the editor reflect
> "the supreme quality of the journals concerned?"

We are considering scientific journals that are read by quite
a number of knowledgeable professionals. The readers spend
their time to read the articles and some even pay the
subscription fees themselves. It's natural that they want
to get good and correct stuff and thus there is motivation
for them to improve the quality of the journal, if it is found
to be defective. Is this psychologically understandable?
An analogy: Suppose that your local community is very badly
managed, e.g. streets that are damaged don't get repaired,
etc. etc., it's almost certain that some people would take
the initiative to complain, even if you personally might not
have the interest or time to do so.

M. K. Shen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A quote concerning randomness
    ... ]>>>absence of letters to the editor reflect "the supreme quality of the ... ]>>We are considering scientific journals that are read by quite ... ]>>their time to read the articles and some even pay the ... absense of such complains implies ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: A quote concerning randomness
    ... >> What makes you think there are going to being any letters at all, ... >> despite mistakes in articles? ... > We are considering scientific journals that are read by quite ... > their time to read the articles and some even pay the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Global Warming as Climastrology
    ... The fraud hasn t been exposed to the general public; the media are ... still hoping that billions of suckers will never find out. ... If they write articles in peer reviewed ... peer-reviewed scientific journals, they're not credible. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Worse than death
    ... > Have you looked at Paul Nahin's book, _Time Machines_? ... > by the AIP. ... I've mainly been looking at articles from scientific journals ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: WingNutDaily: Intelligent Design torpedoes tenure
    ... Many of Dr. Gonzalez's articles are published in prestigious ... scientific journals. ... Support academic freedom. ... Observational Astronomy Combat materialism (a high-level-university ...
    (talk.origins)