Re: IND-CPA for CFB mode

From: Paul Rubin (//phr.cx_at_NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 10/08/04

Date: 08 Oct 2004 01:17:09 -0700

daw@taverner.cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner) writes:
> Personally, I don't like "proofs" with gaps. I'm too lazy to work
> hard on trying to figure out whether such gaps can be filled. And,
> I don't trust proofs where authors don't spell out all the details (it
> makes me wonder whether the authors themselves have done the exercise
> of working out the details carefully). That's my thinking, anyway.

All security proofs I've seen have gaps of a type that experts have
gotten used to and understand. They also sometimes have painfully
detailed proofs of things that are obvious. The result is when I try
to prove something myself as a non-expert, I don't know if I've proved
it or not. And obvious statements often resist my attempts at writing
out simple proofs.

I've been wondering for a while whether anyone has tried writing out
any security proofs formally, i.e. in a system like Mizar
(www.mizar.org) or HOL (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/HVG/HOL/).
This is going to have to be done eventually.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Question: Given |X|>0 and |Y|>0, can X x Y be empty?
    ... unaware of where my gaps are; ... THAT IS STUPID notation! ... I told you 5 times already to STOP writing and START ... if you pretend that conjunctions and disjunctions can be infinitely ...
    (sci.logic)
  • Re: New Author needs help!!
    ... I've been sitting down at my computer and writing ... police procedure, including how to find out about it? ... People who read detective fiction are a very tough audience, ... Any gaps in the information given will be ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Gobbledegook
    ... Slurring in speech is leaving out the gaps between words, ... this in writing too. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Gaps in text
    ... I am writing a thesis. ... When I obtain the final documment I notice ... that some pages have blank gaps. ... Can I give some instruction to do that? ...
    (comp.text.tex)