Re: Size of a new hash standard

From: Bryan Olson (fakeaddress_at_nowhere.org)
Date: 09/25/04

    Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:49:09 GMT

    Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
    > Bryan Olson wrote:
    >> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
    >> > I can't comment on the philosophical issue involved. But in
    >> > a recent thread 'A basic question about hashing' I sketched
    >> > two schemes using bijective polynomials with degrees of,
    >> > say, 3 or higher mod 2^n (n being the block size), which
    >> > (at least in my intuitive view) should be hard to invert.
    >> > I think that the second scheme there could in fact be quite
    >> > viable (a part of the first scheme could eventually be
    >> > incorporated too.)
    >>
    >> Are these views based on anything, or are they just un-informed
    >> guesses, like your previous schemes?
    >
    > They are intuitive, somehow (i.e. a little bit) supported in
    > my own mind by what I knew about the difficulties of dealing
    > with polynomial equations in reals (that's an analogical
    > reasoning, rather ad hoc). Is that exteremely bad as an
    > idea as such?

    Certainly not appropriate for a sci group. This method of
    guessing one problem is like another has failed you over and
    over before. (Plus in this case, it seems you didn't even
    bother to look up the problem. Degree three or higher?)

    > (If you think so, then please ignore it, as
    > I repeatedly said elsewhere to you.)

    Don't you think newer readers deserve some kind of warning?
    They might not yet know what your name on a post means.

    --
    --Bryan

    • Re: Size of a new hash standard
      ... Bryan Olson wrote in ... >> my own mind by what I knew about the difficulties of dealing ... >> reasoning, rather ad hoc). ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: radio amateurs and emergencies
      ... apocalypse the survivors will be in no condition or state of mind to follow ... or adhere to cosy little schemes where everyone "important" has a high-viz ... Adapted to a great film, ... isn't a specific nuclear exchange that's put the planet in that position. ...
      (uk.radio.amateur)
    • Re: lazy Tory sod
      ... if we were dealing with reasonable adults. ... But to my mind the offenders fall into two categories. ... I don't believe the incentives of the expenses system are the problem, ...
      (uk.politics.misc)
    • Re: What is the proper way to internationalize a large web app?
      ... > Your frustration probably comes from dealing with an application ... > which was not designed with localizability in mind in the first place. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: Conservatives Urged to Avoid Progressive Insurance
      ... >>> their stated reasons for doing what they do before making up ... >>> your mind whether they were right or wrong. ... >> When dealing with political organizations, ... I just keep a few grains of salt handy when I'm dealing ...
      (rec.motorcycles)