Re: Growth of computing and decryption time.

From: Johnny Bravo (no_at_nospam.com)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:05:16 GMT

On 14 Sep 2004 01:49:48 -0700, mintiSPAMBLOCK@yahoo.com wrote:

>Thanks for this too. But I think that when want to decrypt some cipher
>one generally does NOT wait for 10 years or 20 years down the line.

  If you want to brute force it, unless you have unlimited resources,
it would be faster to start later.

  I know that seems counter intuitive but look at it this way, lets
say you need 1,000 years of computing power and you have enough money
to buy 10 computers so you go out and buy them, it will take 100 years
to finish the job. If you wait 2 years they will be twice as fast,
you buy your 10 computers then and the job will be finished in a total
of 52 years. You wait 10 years and buy the 10 computers, each of
which is 32 times faster than the ones 10 years before and you will be
done in a total of 13.125 years.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft