Re: Riemann hypothesis and factoring

From: Bob Silverman (pubkeybreaker_at_aol.comstuff)
Date: 09/10/04

Date: 10 Sep 2004 01:00:14 GMT

"Yes. But while a proof of RH would likely have little relevance
to crypto, a proof of P!=NP would probably have a lot of relevance to crypto. "

Well if P = NP, then one-way functions do not
exist. Kiss hashing goodbye. Kiss factoring and
discrete logs goodbye. Kiss lattice based
methods goodbye. In fact, kiss all of
public key crypto goodbye...

"You can lead a horse's ass to knowledge, but you can't make him think."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Computer generated fictions?
    ... I suppose a relevance of such ... > software for crypto could lie in the prospect to employ them ... the attack Schneier describes for finding a collision in a too-short ... "improving" prose style and steganography) you mention. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Importance of chaos theory
    ... Thus if it has relevance to Crypto, ... article disappears, it is for good reason ... It is called talking to your fellow researchers. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Riemann hypothesis and factoring
    ... >Alan wrote: ... >> But it seems to me that the mere proof ... But while a proof of RH would likely have little relevance ... to crypto, a proof of P!=NP would probably have a lot of relevance ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Importance of chaos theory
    ... I think we are at cross-purposes here. ... The point I take from M K Shen is that a new aspect of say maths will ... Thus if it has relevance to Crypto, ...
    (sci.crypt)