Re: Riemann hypothesis and factoring

From: David Wagner (daw_at_taverner.cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 09/10/04

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:04:42 +0000 (UTC)

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
>Alan wrote:
>> But it seems to me that the mere proof
>> of the RH doesn't enable me to do anything faster. It was quite
>> reasonable to assume RH to be true for practical purposes already.
>
>Exactly. I made the same point long ago about P?=NP.

Yes. But while a proof of RH would likely have little relevance
to crypto, a proof of P!=NP would probably have a lot of relevance
to crypto. (That's my subjective assessment/prediction. I could
be wrong, of course.)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Computer generated fictions?
    ... I suppose a relevance of such ... > software for crypto could lie in the prospect to employ them ... the attack Schneier describes for finding a collision in a too-short ... "improving" prose style and steganography) you mention. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Importance of chaos theory
    ... Thus if it has relevance to Crypto, ... article disappears, it is for good reason ... It is called talking to your fellow researchers. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Statins and diabetes
    ... Alan S wrote: ... their lack of belief in the relevance of their results is ... history of heart disease. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Importance of chaos theory
    ... I think we are at cross-purposes here. ... The point I take from M K Shen is that a new aspect of say maths will ... Thus if it has relevance to Crypto, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Riemann hypothesis and factoring
    ... But while a proof of RH would likely have little relevance ... to crypto, a proof of P!=NP would probably have a lot of relevance to crypto. ... Kiss hashing goodbye. ... public key crypto goodbye... ...
    (sci.crypt)