Re: Help: Randomizing a List of Numbers

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen_at_t-online.de)
Date: 07/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:14:37 +0200

John Savard wrote:

> Bill Emerson <no@one.home> wrote, in part:
>
>>The only thing worse than mocking dead languages is reading or writing
>>them.
>
> That could be, .......

Anyway, Visual Basic, which evolves from BASIC, is very well
alive, as far as I am aware.

> Yes, GCC is free, and, for that matter, you can still download Watcom
> C and FORTRAN for free...

There is unfortunately no free compiler for Fortran starting
from Fortran 90 (if I don't err).

> I *was* sorely tempted to make a riposte to the criticism of BASIC by
> presenting the algorithm again in a language with longer variable
> names...
>
> 360 Assembler.

I would have had the fun of reading that, since I still
remember quite a bit of its instruction set :)

M. K. Shen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: help reading fortran generated binary data...
    ... I have a tcl program designed to read an old Fortran Unformatted Sequential file format earlier threads). ... I have some old FORTRAN code that is capable of reading the same file - which I have used as a guide when writing my tcl version. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • help reading fortran generated binary data...
    ... I have a tcl program designed to read an old Fortran Unformatted Sequential ... I have some old FORTRAN code that is capable of reading the same ... the following should return the proper data: ... binary scan $binaryData @$d1 theData ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Unformatted, big-endian files and fseek
    ... don't think it has F2003 support. ... F2003 I/O will improve the reading speed versus reading the whole ... The natural recommendation, from my biased viewpoint anyway, is Intel Visual Fortran, the successor to Compaq Visual Fortran. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: When will this ng come to accept that Fortran needs to go "back to the future" ?
    ... why I asked the counter-question about C. Personally, I would guess that reading the contents of a directory in C is more portable in Fortran only to the extent that there are fewer compiler-related issues in accessing system interfaces in C than Fortran. ... struct for directory entries. ... Since not all unix file systems allow direct reading of directories, ... The C struct used for directory entries may use features that F2003 ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • blank in assignment Fortran IV
    ... I am studying an ancient source written in Fortran IV (it is the ... Also I assume by reading the theoretical text, ... I always get for HX the value HINF and not what I ... someone please explain what the above assignment in Fortran IV means? ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)