Re: A question about programming

From: Paul Schlyter (pausch_at_saaf.se)
Date: 07/19/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:44:35 GMT

In article <cdg03r$ig$07$1@news.t-online.com>,
Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de> wrote:

>The news
>
> http://www.acm.org/technews/articles/2004-6/0716f.html#item10
>
>says that a 1000-processor system has been made to simulate
>the brain.

No it doesn't. It says that it is "designed to imitate the
architecture of the human brain" and that it is "reportedly
the first neural system whose complexity competes with that
of the mammalian brain". A quite significant difference.

>It claims to realize 20 billion neurons and 20
>trillion connections. Given that the brain is estimated to have
>about 100 billion neurons (i.e. only 5 times more), this sounds
>certainly very impressive. I have a presumably very dumb question
>related to programming: How could one run an extremely huge
>network of 20 trillion connections 'practically' (i.e. with good
>efficiency) on a system having only 1000 processors? (Intuitively
>that seems to me to be very hard.)

Why don't you contact the authors of that article to find out?
They should know. In addition, neural nets are most likely off
topic here in sci.crypt.

Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW:     http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
         http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/

Relevant Pages

  • First Evidence Of Brain Abnormalities Found In Pathological Liars
    ... A USC study found the first evidence of brain abnormalities - specifically in the prefrontal cortex - in pathological liars. ... The research - led by Yaling Yang and Adrian Raine, bothof the USC College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - is published in theOctober issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry. ... More Mind & Brain News ...
    (sci.med.psychobiology)
  • A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
    ... NEW YORK - A Staten Island couple are suing New York City after learning ... that their dead son's brain was on display at a city morgue. ... More videos in U.S. news ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: My latest medical update !!!
    ... is good since it makes me a better candidate for the Deep Brain ... concerning the surgery (I still can't believe I'm hoping for brain ... From a doctor who is a Yankee fan of all things), some bad news ... Anything you can tell me about your subjective experiences with DBS (and I mean everything, from how it was discussed with you, questions you wish you'd had answered right away, who you needed to talk to, what you're worried/concerned about, right up through what it feels like as a patient when (if) you actually have the device implanted and activated) would be appreciated-- feel free to use private email. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Wait a minute....
    ... crying out loud. ... Who knows what's happened to his brain? ... pressure is on Breitbart and indirectly, Fox News. ... that I have seen is the government finding a way to shut down Fox ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • My latest medical update !!!
    ... is good since it makes me a better candidate for the Deep Brain ... delay our planned BJs stop until next week. ... concerning the surgery (I still can't believe I'm hoping for brain ... From a doctor who is a Yankee fan of all things), some bad news ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)