Re: PK and QC

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen_at_t-online.de)
Date: 07/13/04

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:15:59 +0200

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

> flip wrote:
>
>> We can build some quantum gates today, but translating that into
>> something
>> that can be made to function as a computer is a joke at present.
>> I would venture to say that in the next 1000 years it might be
>> possible, but
>> I suspect something new in crypto will be learned by then.
>

> The joke is that you really think that it takes that long
> to develop a new technology to the point of practicality.

True. In all sciences it often takes quite a long time to have
a new idea, a break-through. Once that happens, the progress
can be extremely fast. The development of the conventional
computer technology is a nice example of this. (I find it
always worth the expense to visit museums where some
first-generation computers are shown.)

M. K. Shen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PK and QC
    ... flip wrote: ... > We can build some quantum gates today, but translating that into something ... > that can be made to function as a computer is a joke at present. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Offering a part-time job
    ... I'd heard the joke years ago, ... That reminds me of something I came across online a few years back, a little book called "English as She is Spoke." ... It was supposed to be a Portugese/English phrasebook, but was evidently created by translating with a Portugese/French dictionary and then translating the results with a French/English dictionary. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)