Re: Reversible hash to transform series of small integers into well-distributed output values?

From: Jean-Luc Cooke (jlcooke_at_lager.engsoc.carleton.ca)
Date: 01/03/04

Date: 3 Jan 2004 04:47:33 GMT

standard hash isnt' reversible.

something completly different:

key = hex(00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000);

output = aes_enc(key, input);

Should do what you want.

JLC

Jeff <jskubick@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a reasonable REVERSIBLE scheme for generating long,
> reasonably well-distributed strings from single integers between 0 and
> 32768 based upon some shared secret such that someone who KNOWS that
> each long character string ultimately represents a single 16-bit
> integer (but DOESN'T know the secret's value) would still have a hard
> time trying to replicate it through brute force.

> To give a specific example, suppose a website has 600 users whose user
> IDs are represented by the numbers 1 through 600. Using MD5, I could
> come up with a reasonably well-distributed set of output values by
> generating a random string of random length and prepending it to each
> of the integer values before taking the value's md5 hash and
> converting it to a 32-digit hexadecimal number. Someone who knows that
> 8f87f8ae92c2e8374f72c3b1143e2da2 represents one of the 600 possible
> values would still have a fairly hard time finding the other 599
> possible values in the 128-bit haystack... especially if they were
> chasing a moving target (the salt were changed regularly) and got
> locked out for a while if they made too many bad requests in a row.

> The problem, of course, is that md5 isn't reversible. I vaguely
> remember seeing a reference once to a scheme that specifically
> addressed the issue of creating big "needle-in-a-haystack" output
> values from a small, sequential set of 32-bit input values utilizing a
> shared secret, but can't find any obvious references to it anymore.

> Why not just store the 600 values in a local dictionary? Two
> reasons... I expect a lot more values than 600 in a fairly short time,
> and I'd like to use a different salt for each active user (generated
> randomly at login time)... so that a request by user #9 for
> /foo/bar/${big hash value} that returns a file corresponding to user
> #832 would correspond to NOTHING (in all likelihood) if user #614
> tried to request the same file since the salt used to calculate ${big
> hash value} would have been specific to user #9's current session and
> known ONLY to the object representing his current session.

> Any suggestions?

  • Re: Encyption
    ... password + salt to produce a unique password ... using HMACxxx is the wrong approach - or do you want to encrypt the hash? ... my problem is that even if i have a string that is 20 characters long ... private string HashString ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: salted md5 hash
    ... that method generates long hash values, ... So you need to salt the string before ... >> How can I get hash value for a specified string with specified salt? ...
  • Re: Hash salt (was Re: BCRYPT - Why not using it?)
    ... On Debian 6.0 stable, it's 8. ... string is the salt? ... the process what algorithm to use for the hash. ... Between the second and third '$' is the salt itself. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: salted md5 hash
    ... So you need to salt the string before creating the hash and then store the salt along with the hashed pwd for retrival. ... > not find anything about salted md5 algorithm. ...
  • Re: How to write a diff in VB6 for comparing two xml files?
    ... No, the best you could do is to read both into string and use StrCompbut it's inefficient and, but using the hash ... Private Declare Function CryptAcquireContext Lib "AdvAPI32.dll" Alias _ ... Dim HashAAs Byte, HashLenA As Long ...