Re: Is MD5 outdated ?

From: Gregory G Rose (ggr_at_qualcomm.com)
Date: 09/19/03

    Date: 18 Sep 2003 15:24:09 -0700

    In article <2814m.i93202@archiver.winews.net>,
    Juergen Helbing <archiver+sci.crypt@i3w.com> wrote:
    >I'm personally _far_ more concerned about "random collisions" -
    >which means that two guys are posting a binary with the same MD5.
    >
    >The good quesation might be: "How good is the reliability for MD5
    >as a hash-code ?": We are having > 1e6 binary messages per day
    >and the system should work properly for 2-10 years.

    You expect the first collision after about 2^64
    binaries, so at 1e6 binaries/day you should be
    good for 50539024859 years approximately. SHA-1
    would last 65536 times longer :-)

    Greg.

    --
    Greg Rose
    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C

    • Re: download of pictures: who can manage to make it feasable in our NG?
      ... "alt.binaries.horology" or somesuch and use it for the posting of photos. ... I really wouldn't bother nowadays - there are many photo sharing ... websites where it's possible to upload pictures. ... Two ther points that have been brought up in relation to binaries. ...
      (alt.horology)
    • Re: download of pictures: who can manage to make it feasable in our NG?
      ... I really wouldn't bother nowadays - there are many photo sharing ... websites where it's possible to upload pictures. ... Because the storage requirements get out of hand rapidly, binaries are rarely archived, so you cannot go back and find postings from the past. ... Aside from that, if you dig through the terms of service of the ISP you are using, somwhere in all the other drivel, it will say that posting binaries to non binary newsgroups is a violation of your terms of service, and could lose you your account. ...
      (alt.horology)
    • Re: (OT) Bring on the Critics! I aint sceert! Nosir!
      ... Binary files are often blocked at the ISP level. ... you need a real nntp news client that can post attachments. ... attachments are known as binaries. ... You'd be better off creating a video and posting it to youtube. ...
      (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
    • Re: Is MD5 outdated ?
      ... >can maliciously create two differing binaries with the same hash, ... It was very informative to know the latest status of MD5. ... Binary Usenet by a hash-code created from the file. ... We want to use the MD5 of a binary message as a "replacement" ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: looking for hardware source
      ... of posting is voluntary or based on the whim of the person posting. ... Ultimately, it is the poster that writes the posts, and technical ... this newsgroup the way we like it. ... The fact is that all binaries are ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)