Re: Historical Ciphers

From: Lurker (__at__.com)
Date: 06/26/03

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:05:51 GMT

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:35:56 -0700, "John A. Malley"
<102667.2235@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Lurker wrote:
>
>[...]
>>>
>> It gets pretty muddy trying to examine 19th century perspectives of
>> 16th century codes. How much of the 19th century analysis was
>> subjective creation on the part of the analyzers?
>

>Astoundingly, very little, according to the anecdotes in Kahn's "The
>Codebreakers".
>
>The 19th Century holds the roots of many modern cryptology concepts.

I'm finding a few good leads on the web. I feel like an archeologist
going back centuries for info. As you say most of the pertinent
information seems to be presented in its original orientation without
too much revisionist afterspin. Some of the documents you need
adobe acrobat to read though.