Re: Avoiding C++ Templates In Cipher Implementation

From: Alex Vinokur (alexvn_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: 06/10/03

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:15:31 +0300

"Ernst Lippe" <ernstl-at-planet-dot-nl@ignore.this> wrote in message news:bc4p65$d85$1@reader08.wxs.nl...
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:27:32 +0300, Alex Vinokur wrote:
[snip]
> > But C++ compilers have not only template-related problems.
> > Are template-related problems most serious?
> They have a bad reputation. It is difficult to write
> portable programs with templates. In almost all practical
> cases you can rewrite your program to avoid templates.
Any revealing example?

> So when you are worried about the correctness of your programs
> it seems wise to avoid them.
>
> greetings,
>
> Ernst Lippe

By the way, there are various constructions with C++ Templates.
If a programmer is afraid of template non-portability
he/she may use more simple constructions which are not rejected by any compiler.

   Alex Vinokur
     mailto:alexvn@connect.to
     http://www.simtel.net/pub/oth/19088.html
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

  • Re: C container and persistent library ?
    ... You mean it needs to be ported to a platform that doesn't support C... ... i really miss my templates and container types. ... C++ which relies extemsively on templates and the STL is going to be ... implement, and rewrite it. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: [newbie] Which framework for business apps?
    ... I'd rather not have to rewrite the whole thing by myself, ... all the CRUD and input verification part if it's already been done ... keywords with actual data in templates, ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: good conversion tool
    ... the best thing will be to rewrite them from scratch as the ... templates are converted. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)