Re: NSA Response to FOIA Requests

From: Joe Peschel (jpeschel_at_no.spam.org)
Date: 06/08/03

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 14:08:46 -0000

M.S. Bob <msbob@hotmail.com-edy> wrote in
news:fc00evcmkda4c0p8lrregv503tg0ljuite@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:03:06 -0400, "Douglas A. Gwyn"
> <DAGwyn@null.net> wrote:
>
>>The declassification itself could be done in a matter of
>>days if they wanted to, or they could claim that they're
>>backlogged with the mandatory 25-year review and cannot
>>possibly get to your request. You need to anticipate
>>the latter in any appeal and make sure that the judge or
>>panel specifies a "timely" release of the information.
>
> I do not know if it is politically possible, but would it be possible
> to get sworn affadavit from those with appropriate clearance to
> stating that such material (Military Cryptanalytics,
> Volume III, and Mountjoy's bar articles) would not harm national
> security? Joe could use such evidence against such vague blanket
> "trust us" arguments.

If Doug (or any other appropriate authority) were willing to sign a
statement saying that there is no reason to keep the Mountjoy articles
classified, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I think, perhaps, if such a
statement accompanied my appeal, I would not need to take the NSA to court.

Someone mentioned writing to Brian Snow of the NSA. It seems, however,
unusual, to me anyway, to ask a guy at the NSA for help in appealing an NSA
decision.

When will Bush come to his senses?
Joe Peschel
D.O.E. SysWorks