Re: Consequences of breaking RSA, AES

From: Bryan Olson (fakeaddress_at_nowhere.org)
Date: 05/09/03

    Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:18:02 GMT

    Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
    > He (and also you) entirely missed the context.
    >
    > Colin Andrew Percival wrote:
    >
    > A better idea would probably be to buy options so
    > that you profit regardless of the direction the
    > stocks move.
    >
    > I wrote:
    >
    > If I understand your last sentence correctly, there
    > is a general way of getting rich thru buying options,
    > for one wins thereby regardless of the direction the
    > stock moves. That would be marvelous. Could you please
    > elaborate that some more?
    >
    > I was questioning the possibility of (always) winning
    > with options 'regardless' of the direction the stock
    > moves.

    What is this guy talking about? Louis Scheffer clearly stated:
    "the idea works only if the variations are large.", and in his
    example "The downside is that if the price does not vary by more
    than $4, you've lost money."

    > (That is clearly impossible. Do you agree?
    > I knew that's impossible, but for rhetoric reasons I
    > formulated a question.) Is that clear?

    Shen is the only one proposing impossibilities.

    I can see how a casual reading of Colin's post might miss the
    assumption that the stock will move sharply, either up or down.
    But after Louis Scheffer's post? I don't get that.

    --
    --Bryan