Re: Whats known as the best text compression methed for regular text files?

From: Jack Lloyd (lloyd_at_jhu.edu)
Date: 05/09/03

Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 10:46:55 -0400

On Fri, 09 May 2003 10:47:24 -0400, mrpolitics.mrkane wrote:

> n/t

Depends on what you mean by best:

 - bzip2 will compress larger text files very well, but it has poor
   latency and uses up a good bit of memory, and lots of CPU.
 - zlib/gzip/zip (same algorithm, different formats): better latency,
   good overall compression (but not as tight as bzip2), still quite
   a bit of memory and CPU.
 - arithmetic coding: really good compression, but patented.
 - various other things, like LZ77-derived compressors, are often faster
   and/or more memory/CPU efficient and/or have better latency.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: bz2 & cpu usage
    ... >> of the cpu and the Windows GUI becomes almost useless. ... >> compression process to take longer. ... According to the bzip2 man page, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Multithreading motivation
    ... A lot of research has gone into tighter compression ratios at the ... This gives each CPU eight "hardware" threads. ... I took an 88MB test file and compressed it with bzip2, ... gzip, and pbzip2, and measured the time it took for all three. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: Image Files - Safety
    ... I did Google both, found "Bzip2" compression ... I really don't know the level of expertise of the guy. ... you really should know how to Google. ... Bzip2 obviously serves for data compression. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Very fast parallel bzip2.
    ... for me during compression was 8.63x faster with only 4 CPUs. ... 0.05% larger than achieved by bzip2. ... I have not played with compiler optimisations, but pbzip2 was built with ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: PPMZ2 Question!!
    ... bzip2 is rather effective for files that fit within a single compression ... will see that BZIP2 is well below PPMZ2 in compression performance!!! ...
    (comp.compression)