Re: Consequences of breaking RSA, AES

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen_at_t-online.de)
Date: 05/09/03

Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:43:50 +0200

Bryan Olson wrote:

> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> >
> > Louis Scheffer wrote:

> >>Yes, it's possible, but the idea works only if the variations are large.
> >>If the price does not change much, you lose money.
> >>
> >>Suppose a stock is selling at $20. For a few
> >>dollars/share you can by the right (but not the obligation) to buy shares
> >>a few months from now at $20/share. For this example let's make the cost
> >>$2/share though it varies due to market conditions. (The seller is
> >>expecting that the price will not increase, and he can pocket the
> $2/share
> >>and keep his shares). Likewise you can buy the right, but not the
> obligation,
> >>to sell shares a few months from now for price of $20, from someone who
> >>thinks the price will go up. Now if the price varies a lot, one of these
> >>two will become valuable, and the other worthless.
> >>The downside is that if the price does not vary by more than $4,
> you've lost
> >>money.
> >

> > One terms the one 'put' and the other 'call' option.
> > Now you as investor has to decide whether you do put
> > or call. If you speculate on the one kind of options
> > and the market goes in the other direction, you'll
> > certainly lose. Or am I missing something?
>
> You are missing a few minutes of thought. Louis Scheffer has
> given you all you need to know. Re-read his post carefully.

He (and also you) entirely missed the context.

Colin Andrew Percival wrote:

   A better idea would probably be to buy options so
   that you profit regardless of the direction the
   stocks move.

I wrote:

   If I understand your last sentence correctly, there
   is a general way of getting rich thru buying options,
   for one wins thereby regardless of the direction the
   stock moves. That would be marvelous. Could you please
   elaborate that some more?

I was questioning the possibility of (always) winning
with options 'regardless' of the direction the stock
moves. (That is clearly impossible. Do you agree?
I knew that's impossible, but for rhetoric reasons I
formulated a question.) Is that clear?

M. K. Shen

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Make Work work properly on flat panels rotated 90deg
    ... coincidentally - amounts to the approximate number of inches you claim you'e ... missing. ... This is the case regardless of screen size. ... Get a rotatable 19" LCD panel and you'll see for youself. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.pagelayout)
  • Re: Oh, for *fucks* sake.
    ... I toddled up to Peterboghorror to go to Machine Mart today to buy a ... "You'll 'ave ter bring it back". ... in stock, ... The one that's been robbed of bits for every other one that's been sold with bits missing? ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: .. or any clean type boost pedals ?
    ... stock guitars! ... Have stock setup stored away ... I further modified by pulling passive tone ... I think you're missing out. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Oh, for *fucks* sake.
    ... I have a job waiting for it, so I didn't want to wait for the ... "You'll 'ave ter bring it back". ... in stock, ... The one that's been robbed of bits for every other one that's been sold with bits missing? ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Dyno Run
    ... the PCIII USB on my 04 FLHTCI with stock headers, ... Snarl's Heavy Breather and stock cams. ... Nice torque but you're missing about 12 hp. ... Nevermind I forgot I'm ploinked so ...
    (rec.motorcycles.harley)