Re: Consequences of breaking RSA, AES

From: Bryan Olson (fakeaddress_at_nowhere.org)
Date: 05/09/03

Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 12:12:45 GMT

Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

> Louis Scheffer wrote:
>
>>Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de> writes:
>>>If I understand your last sentence correctly, there
>>>is a general way of getting rich thru buying options,
>>>for one wins thereby regardless of the direction the
>>>stock moves. That would be marvelous. Could you please
>>>elaborate that some more?
>>
>>Yes, it's possible, but the idea works only if the variations are large.
>>If the price does not change much, you lose money.
>>
>>Suppose a stock is selling at $20. For a few
>>dollars/share you can by the right (but not the obligation) to buy shares
>>a few months from now at $20/share. For this example let's make the cost
>>$2/share though it varies due to market conditions. (The seller is
>>expecting that the price will not increase, and he can pocket the
$2/share
>>and keep his shares). Likewise you can buy the right, but not the
obligation,
>>to sell shares a few months from now for price of $20, from someone who
>>thinks the price will go up. Now if the price varies a lot, one of these
>>two will become valuable, and the other worthless.
>>The downside is that if the price does not vary by more than $4,
you've lost
>>money.
>

> One terms the one 'put' and the other 'call' option.
> Now you as investor has to decide whether you do put
> or call. If you speculate on the one kind of options
> and the market goes in the other direction, you'll
> certainly lose. Or am I missing something?

You are missing a few minutes of thought. Louis Scheffer has
given you all you need to know. Re-read his post carefully.

--
--Bryan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Consequences of breaking RSA, AES
    ... Bryan Olson wrote: ... Louis Scheffer clearly stated: ... > example "The downside is that if the price does not vary by more ... Actually, you don't even need the price to change, providing that "the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Heljan RTR Garratt
    ... 12 variations, too, LMS and BR from pristine to heavily weathered. ... The email gives the price as £199 which I think was the price I ... puts pressure on purchasers to commit themselves through pre-ordering ... The trend to pre-ordering will continue. ...
    (uk.rec.models.rail)
  • Re: Exploring Albert Ferbers Faure
    ... Theme and Variations available on an SACD/CD hybrid set for about ... to Cdjapan. ...  At 3x the price of the currently available reissue. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • 1950 knockout for sale in ri
    ... offer (not price wise - is from somebody who will put it in a very ... missing (bells from the head and body, knocker, hole in the cabinet, ... under the playfield which are all but impossible to find) and that it ... again it might hurt me selling it and chuck ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: default value on quantity and price field
    ... Suppose you're in a restaurant and the menu lists the price for some ... Alowing data to be missing in a database introduces some interesting ... some people have taken the "avoid NULLS" advise way too ... doing business in the USA), or a "safe" value (eg no automatic unlimited ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)