Re: Why is AES more secure than DES??

From: Douglas A. Gwyn (
Date: 05/06/03

Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 21:57:12 GMT

Shill wrote:
> As I understand, CTRL-C would print 0x3. However in Unix, CTRL-C is
> often used to terminate a program, correct?

BSD picked up ETX (^C) in place of the DEL used in the Bell Labs
Unix distributions, due to influence from DEC operating systems.
The specific characters used for such control functions are user-
configurable via the "stty" command.

> Is there a difference between 0x8 (BACKSPACE) and 0x7F (DELETE)?

Yes, for one thing they have different code values.
On my Unix accounts, I use BS for character-erase-backward
and DEL for generating SIGINT (process interrupt) to the
terminal group.

It's not a really big problem on Unix to embed such characters
in user passwords, when the passwords are read as raw data
with no special input processing. But many applications for
whatever reason don't support entry of passwords in that mode,
and without input processing one can't correct typos while
typing the password. So it is best to avoid using control
characters in passwords.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?
    ... >from UNIX to Windows servers, the passwords became case insensitive ... >and would not accept some characters. ...
  • Re: US Military bans HTML in emails
    ... Complex passwords are not that much harder to ... Consider a password with a choice of X different characters for each ... takes using all upper- and lowercase letters, ... I can see only two advantages of complex passwords: ...
  • RE: Basic question
    ... If somebody else hasn't covered it already, I'll try to send out a Kerberos ... > Unicode character set and can be up to 128 characters long, ... > Pre-W2K user interfaces limits do not allow passwords to ... I believe that you are referring to *LM* hashes. ...
  • Re: Paper & pencil password algorithm
    ... generator and generate a password as a permutation of a whole ... The advantage of a random sequence generator is that I can make my ... I can't imagine ever wanting passwords ... convenience I'll probably keep most of them between 20 and 50 characters ...
  • RE: Password statistics and standards
    ... If you shut off the storage of LM hashes, over 9 Characters will buy you ... Take a look at Perfect Passwords for some creative ideas: ... information about accounts which is helpful in telling me ... Norwich University ...