Re: RIP proof secret splitting

From: Roger Schlafly (rogersc@mindspring.com)
Date: 04/24/03

From: "Roger Schlafly" <rogersc@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:06:36 GMT

<thisisme-no-spam@cotse.net> wrote
> decrypt the message without both halves. A problem would
> arise, however, if the plaintext is easy to guess, because
> then the owner of one of the shadows could simply guess
> at possible plaintexts until he got it right. To avoid this ...

If the encryption method is resistant to chosen-ciphertext
attacks, then guessing does not work. Maybe that's what
you want.

Relevant Pages

  • GnuPG::Interface hangs while decrypting files over 61068 bytes
    ... It seems that when trying to decrypt a file where the plaintext ... print $passphrase_fd $passphrase; ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Varying Ciphertext
    ... It's useful to stipulate that the decryption process takes ... as input a key, and some ciphertext, and produces ... decrypts to only one plaintext. ... still keeping it computationally infeasible to decrypt without ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Password management
    ... If an application could just decrypt passwords wouldn't that be a huge security hole in itself? ... "Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote in message ... to extract the password from the Windows password database, convert it to plaintext, ... While there is a lot of talk about reversible password encryption, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: alg. ident. need help
    ... > I do have encreypted file, ... > I need to decrypt that stuff,but I do not know which alghoritm was ... if the result is reasonable plaintext the mode is CBC. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Cracking relationship?
    ... If you have only one block of ciphertext, then there will be many candidate ... keys that can decrypt that one block into plaintext that is ASCII text. ...
    (comp.security.misc)