Re: Cohen's paper on byte order

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen@t-online.de)
Date: 04/21/03

    From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de>
    Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:43:46 +0200

    Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

    [snip]
    > (3) According to common convention, groups of bits
    > can be designated in the hexadecimal notation, so e.g.
    > '010' can be written as the hex '2'. Thus the user
    > can choose to express his key in the hexadecimal
    > notation, obtaining a sequence of hex digits, again
    > written left to right, with the first hex digit
    > corresponding to the first three bits of the original
    > bit sequence, etc. Is that o.k.? Note that the
    > hex digits are to be obtained from the bit sequence
    > in strict sequential order from left to right. In
    > particular, there is no swapping of hex digits, nor
    > swapping of any larger units (e.g. groups of two hex
    > digits).
    [snip]

    Sorry for a (surely evident) error/typo. A hex digit
    represents four bits and not three. The correction
    to the above needed is certainly clear.

    M. K. Shen

    • Re: C99 IDE for windows
      ... I have compiler conformance documentation here that, ... near data models, four hex digits. ... in which case those dynamic rules must be specified. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
      ... > the 2-nybble byte notation specifically in the context of ... > AES internal bytes, ... > sequence, and which therefore does not provide guidance ... notation, obtaining a sequence of hex digits, again ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
      ... conventions used in the FIPS, ... > down the key as a sequence of 128 bits, ... > notation, obtaining a sequence of hex digits, again ... that the first byte of the internal key byte array must ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
      ... > conventions used in the FIPS, ... > If the input is truly an indexed bit sequence, ... >> notation, obtaining a sequence of hex digits, again ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
      ... > exactly the user-given key as expressed as hex digits ... in an absurd interpretation of these byte array values as only internal, ...
      (sci.crypt)