Re: Cohen's paper on byte order

From: Brian Gladman (fake@nowhere.org)
Date: 04/16/03

From: "Brian Gladman" <fake@nowhere.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:36:45 +0100

"Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net> wrote in message
news:3E9C7584.36869923@null.net...
> Brian Gladman wrote:
> > 'we' now have to cope with it in some way but we want to cope with it in
> > way that mantains our strict endian neutrality ...
>
> Unfortunately the spec is such as to strongly encourage one
> particular endian bit assignment within storage bytes. So
> it might as well be specified in precisely that way.

It is the price we have paid for building a world that treats integers as
more primitive entities than bit sequences.

   Brian Gladman

Relevant Pages

  • Endianness of padded scalar objects
    ... the endianness of a multibyte scalar object is defined by whether the ... of bytes of storage used by that object. ... and when such a padded object is written to a file, all padding is included. ... appropriate way to reverse the endian of such an object. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: Inductors?*!
    ... All the specs I've checked give -40C for storage though one from ... Not necessarily daft -- -55C storage is a pretty common mil spec ... Need to learn how to apply control theory in your embedded system? ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Inductors?*!
    ... I'm doing a battery charger design using a sepic converter. ... All the specs I've checked give -40C for storage though one from ... Not necessarily daft -- -55C storage is a pretty common mil spec ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Struct vs Class
    ... This is the only relevant information I found in the spec cited afterwards: ... "When a property or indexer declared in a struct-type is the target of an ... assignment, the instance expression associated with the property or indexer ...
  • Simple assignment operator and object overlap
    ... simple assignment in N1124 and I'm wondering if I'm ... The only concievable way for the storage of two objects to overlap in ... operator on an object of type 'pointer to T' (or a pointer to a ...
    (comp.lang.c)