Re: Cohen's paper on byte order

From: Roger Schlafly (rogersc@mindspring.com)
Date: 04/07/03

From: "Roger Schlafly" <rogersc@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:40:43 GMT

"Eugene Starokoltsev" <eugene_o@gmx.net> wrote
> Yes. AES external interface is defined in terms of bit sequences only.
> So to make the situation clear we should consider three alternatives:
> 1. AES external interfase is defined in terms of bit sequences only
> (what we see now).
> 2. AES external interface is defined in terms of sequences of integers
> in the range [0..255] only.
> 3. AES external interface is defined in terms of bit _and_ byte
> sequences.
> The last possibility is the worst, as different current communication
> protocols use different byte-to-bits mapping. ...

The fact that some people number bits differently is all the more
reason for AES to use a specific definition. Otherwise, some
systems may fail to be interoperable.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
    ... > the byte arrays would be aligned). ... AES external interface is defined in terms of bit sequences only. ... cryptographic specifications (SHA-1, DES, specifications, defining ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Cant get around "IndexError: list index out of range"
    ... isn't any other way to *safely* handle dynamic sequences (esp. ... implemented is because no good reason has been presented why they *should*. ... I found one from 1997 where he mentioned a patch to python 1.5 ... shouldn't be searching lists and tuples like that unless you know what ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Good enough for crypto?
    ... One of the advantages over Diehard, at least, is the ability of RNGmeter to ... probably use it to test sequences for randomness simply because it's easy to ... the claim that most of the generators that pass Diehard fail the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Cant get around "IndexError: list index out of range"
    ... I don't want to treat sequences and mappings as the same thing. ... I'm talking about adding two similar convenience methods for sequences ... Reason: It's unnecessary / bloat. ...
    (comp.lang.python)