Re: Cohen's paper on byte order

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen@t-online.de)
Date: 04/06/03

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:09:54 +0200

Paul Crowley wrote:

> No, AES does define a mapping onto sequences of bits. The trouble is
> that sequences of bits are not the "lingua franca" of computer
> communication and storage; sequences of uint8s are. This mapping is
> not defined. This is a rare failing in a standard.

I certainly misunderstood you, but doesn't the standard
in a figure depicts the sequence of 128 bits together
with the sequence of 8 of (its) 'bytes'? (It also gives
its numbering of bits in a 'byte'.)

M. K. Shen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Interface of the set classes
    ... >> Sequences have order, sets don't. ... neither in Python nor in C++ can you switch freely. ... You make claims, above, about the container templates in C++'s standard ... Python's lists, sets and dicts, and in what aspects precisely? ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Extrapolate divisor & dividend from quotient?
    ... about some "standard" classification, ... A decimal expansion is just a sequence of digits. ... procedure in mathematics is to accept the existence of sequences ... Knuth shows that under a reasonable interpretation this doesn't ...
    (sci.math)
  • Optimizing C
    ... But any techniques for doing the standard bit fiddles without ... occurring extra unnecessary cpu bandwidth would be nice. ... shift & rotate, anding, oring, shift til bit ... By sequences of words: I might, for example, be locating ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Optimizing C
    ... in a manner which tilts the compilers hand in, if possible, a ... But any techniques for doing the standard bit fiddles without ... shift & rotate, anding, oring, shift til bit ... By sequences of words: I might, for example, be locating ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Forth 200x, S\q
    ... Forth-200x standard officially defines lower case for these ... sequences, without SwiftForth users with a stuck capslock ever ... distinct escapes, if the standard caters to continuing the existing ... sensitive implementation. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)