Re: *Quantum Computing* expert Bill Munro

From: jsavard@ecn.ab.ca
Date: 04/06/03

From: jsavard@ecn.ab.ca ()
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:44:44 GMT

jsavard@ecn.ab.ca wrote:

: In any event, these researchers called on scientists around the world to
: develop ciphers resistant to attack by quantum computers.

To clarify: there is, of course, nothing odd about a quantum computing
researcher mentioning, in a public lecture, that quantum computers are
just around the corner, and it would be nice if this didn't lead to the
breakdown of privacy and security of on-line funds transfer and the like.

It was because the news item billed the pair, apparently incorrectly, as
*cryptography* researchers that their call to arms appeared strange, at
least based on _my_ understanding of cryptography, which may not be the
same as that of other people more versed in the field.

John Savard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How long can we wait before we absolutely must take steps to protect against quantum computer at
    ... And here in reality, the real work is already being done, oh look, there's even a conference titled "Post Quantum Cryptography" gee, I wonder what that's about. ... The NIST standards are intended to be timely, at even the best estimate of their growth rate it will be at least 30 years before quantum computers can threaten the cryptography that was in use 30 years ago. ... The NIST standards by definition have to remain standard for an extended period of time, as post quantum cryptography is still an exceedingly active area of research, hence the conference dedicated to it, such a standard is impossible. ... This is, by all evidence, the same individual as is reponsible for the VEST ciphers. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Crypto Mini-FAQ
    ... may be superceded by Practical Cryptography, ... easy to make a cipher that can't be broken from a sample message, ... : Q: How large should my keys be? ... : Q: Will quantum computers make all this crypto obsolete? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: The clock is ticking on encryption
    ... Interesting article which mentions quantum computers, ... for RSA. ... side for 128-bit AES; ... The section on Grover's algorithm (attacking symmetric cryptography ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: In the Beginning.
    ... OTP is purely academic today. ... in effect throwing out the baby with the bath water. ... Remember that for cryptography as a business and/or control mode, ... threats from increasing computer power such as quantum computers. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: First quantum byte!
    ... http://bitconjurer.org/simple_public_key.html subject to attack by quantum computers like RSA and elliptic curves are? ... The biggest problem with it is that while it is published so anyone can break it, it isn't published in a respected form so no one respectable is likely to look at it. ... However, as Joe says the problem with making a statement about the security of this algorithm is that no-one's closely studied how secure it is against classical algorithms, so it's a bit early to start saying how quantum computers might affect it. ... some p such that the known k integers mod p are less than p/2k. ...
    (sci.crypt)