Re: Q: One-way functions

From: Paul Crowley (paul@JUNKCATCHER.ciphergoth.org)
Date: 04/01/03

From: Paul Crowley <paul@JUNKCATCHER.ciphergoth.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:30:08 GMT

David A Molnar <dmolnar@fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> Alleged RC4 is probably the most well-known candidate for a PRG,
> and yet we know it's certainly not pseudorandom unless at least the
> first 512 bytes are discarded. I find that a little bit less of
> an issue, since you can say "RC4 used 'properly' instantiates a PRG
> as far as we know."

Fluhrer and McGrew's attack will distinguish RC4 from a random stream
given 2^30 bytes no matter how much keystream you discard.

--
  __  Paul Crowley
\/ o\ sig@paul.ciphergoth.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Pseudorandom integral number generator - please help!!
    ... I'm trying to generate a pseudorandom *integral* number between the ... range [min, max) of cryptographic quality. ... RNGCryptoServiceProvider rng = new ... then you need to discard values higher than multipla ...
  • Ethical dummy?
    ... Declarer draws the last trump and "says doesn't matter, discard anything ... In fact a tired partner's lost track, it's the thirteenth spade. ... dummy saying anything like "please specify" is obviously drawing ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: clc-compliant pseudo-random number generator
    ... you'll need to discard some part of the keystream at ... outputs from related seeds, well, you can figure out what the seeds are. ... > not meant to be cryptographically secure. ... discard the initial output. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: clc-compliant pseudo-random number generator
    ... you'll need to discard some part of the keystream at initialization ... prng_seedshould discard the initial output even if it's ... not meant to be cryptographically secure. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: A question about concatenate string.
    ... newstr = sprintf; ... newstr= % There will be a trailing space, discard this line if it doesn't matter. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)