Lingering virus issue disables displaying of hidden files

A previous virus infection disabled the ability to show hidden files
in Windows Explorer. Whenever I try to show hidden files the command
appears to run okay, but when I return to check it has reverted to
hiding the hidden files.

I have scanned the computer fully twice, but the behaviour persists.
Could it be some change to the Group Policies that has caused, or are
remnants of the virus masquerading at legit programs?

  • Re: Ask EU - external hard drives
    ... It is partitioned, and using Windows Explorer to open each 'drive', ... My first guess is that you have some hidden files or folders. ... But how would I get to dos level to do that? ... This will open a command prompt. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Startup.cmd
    ... In a DOS session, the dir command does not list ... > is hidden it can still be executed in the usual way by specifying its name on ... > editing and application programs I tried open hidden files just fine. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: Two simple questions
    ... > Teilhard Knight wrote: ... just need to use a flag on the command - the -a flag in the case of ls. ... In konqueror use view->show hidden files. ...
    (freebsd-questions)