Re: establish myself back to administrator account

Boot to Safe Mode, log on to the built-in Administrator account (no password needed), open the User Accounts control panel and promote your account to Computer Administrator.

Note: Do not ever use the built-in Administrator as a user account.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Geno wrote:
After formatting HD and installing all new software (XP, etc) When logging in with my password I accidentally signed myself in as user limited profile. How do I change back to Administrator rights. I need to finish downloading more software from java.com, microsoft.com to install McAfee virus protection suite asap.

  • Re: Unable to log in
    ... We recently attempted to boot it up in order to get some data that we needed, and it boots to the welcome page, and shows an Administrator ID, and a log in pasword box. ... at the Welcome Screen do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ... If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ... Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords that you will remember and make other desired changes. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Password Problem..!!
    ... together a couple old computers for the mechanics on the "floor" to use when working on aircraft. ... If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. ... at the Welcome Screen do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ... If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: signing on
    ... If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. ... Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. ... do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ... If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Password issue
    ... If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. ... Type in "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows. ... If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ...
  • Re: Recover Admin Password in Windows XP SP 2
    ... if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. ... Type in "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows. ... If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ... Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords that you will remember and make other desired changes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)