Re: Creating DVD restore point.

You are looking for a product known as disk imaging software. Some popular examples are (in alphabetical order):

Acronis True Image
Norton Ghost
Paragon Drive Backup
Terabyte Unlimited Image for Windows

A disk image is, basically, an exact copy of a hard disk (or a disk partition.) You can use an image to do what is called a 'bare metal restore.' This means that the entire disk (or partition) is replaced by the image. It's like going back in time.

Disk imaging has a learning curve, but it's a very worthwhile investment of your time.

You will find it quite inconvenient to store disk images on a DVD. An external hard drive or network drive is a much better choice.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Carl Gross wrote:
I have XP Pro SP3. I would like to make a DVD that would make a restore point (ie. resurrect the computer's system from the DVD).

How can I do that?

  • Re: Replacing HDD without reinstalling
    ... All disk imaging tools work from the same principle. ... USB external HD enclosure designed to contain laptop hard drives. ...
  • Re: New Dells Still Have Recovery Partition?
    ... with recovery partitions or recovery discs. ... Seems like I've had a much better experience with disk imaging than either of you. ... any capable backup software can backup open files. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: How do I copy my registry to a disk.
    ... The topic of disk imaging is way too complicated for a news post, so let me boil it down to basics. ... Imaging to an external hard disk or to a DVD takes longer but you can recover your system even if your computer is gone. ... If your system crashes and you are unable to repair it, just restore the image and you're good to go like nothing happened. ... Disk imaging is not that easy to understand, but for your efforts to learn about it you will be rewarded with an outstanding backup solution. ...
  • Re: I Need help to Clone a Drive::: please help??
    ... In other words, the smaller partition is ... What you really want to do is - using a disk imaging program such as Acronis ... the disk imageon the same physical HDD that you're backing up. ...
  • Re: Activation with different hard drives
    ... enclosure" you're referring to a USB or Firewire external HDD that would ... contain the disk image that was created by Acronis or some similar disk ... Now there's another thing to consider re using a disk imaging program such ... Note that either the disk imaging or disk cloning process for backup ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)