Zombie account

I've got a 1/2 created login: it does not show up visibly, cannot be
deleted because it does not exist, cannot be created because it already
exists. ( ! )

= net user <name> says "The user name could not be found." (helpmsg 2221)
= net user <name> /ADD says "The account already exists." (helpmsg 2224)
= net user <name> ?DELETE says "The user name could not be found."
(helpmsg 2221)

The login does not appear on the logon screen, nor does TweakUI show it
in the list of controllable accounts. It does not show up in Control
Panel's "User Accounts" application. It does not appear in Administrator
Tools "Computer Management" User Accounts section.

This is Windows XP Pro. Not in a domain, nor is the computer networked
in a LAN.

I'm concerned about cleaning this up, also worried about any security
issues of a 1/2 existing account. Also, I really do want to create an
account of the given username.

Thanks!

--FM
.