Zombie account

I've got a 1/2 created login: it does not show up visibly, cannot be
deleted because it does not exist, cannot be created because it already
exists. ( ! )

= net user <name> says "The user name could not be found." (helpmsg 2221)
= net user <name> /ADD says "The account already exists." (helpmsg 2224)
= net user <name> ?DELETE says "The user name could not be found."
(helpmsg 2221)

The login does not appear on the logon screen, nor does TweakUI show it
in the list of controllable accounts. It does not show up in Control
Panel's "User Accounts" application. It does not appear in Administrator
Tools "Computer Management" User Accounts section.

This is Windows XP Pro. Not in a domain, nor is the computer networked
in a LAN.

I'm concerned about cleaning this up, also worried about any security
issues of a 1/2 existing account. Also, I really do want to create an
account of the given username.

Thanks!

--FM

  • Re: Repost: Local logon and Network Access settings
    ... think require network login since they are over the wire do in fact ... In the default situation, Authenticated Users ... is a member of User on a member machine, and, Users are granted ... user accounts that should be allowed to log into the machines in SomeOU. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Repost: Local logon and Network Access settings
    ... > think require network login since they are over the wire do in fact ... In the default situation, Authenticated Users ... > is a member of User on a member machine, and, Users are granted ... > user accounts that should be allowed to log into the machines in SomeOU. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Windows XP Home, Missing User accounts on Log in
    ... My machine boots up to login like yours but I ... > have any other accounts. ... >> user accounts, mine being the only administrator. ...
  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_RE:_Prob:_failed_to_verify_krb5_credentials:_Server_not_?= =?ISO-8859
    ... Every user shall login with its already existing AD accounts. ... These are the logins, which I try to enter in the login prompt when I visit http://wiki.test.lan:8080. ... I did a nslookup on the unix system and it showed me the server as ... AD, thats also in the keytab file, is TWikiUser. ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)
  • Re: Account Lockout Policies
    ... Allowing accounts to remain dormat for 30 days ... If a technical solution is unavoidable due to a lack of management buy-in, ... Extract login details from the security logs. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)