Re: message "no firewall is turned on" (update)

The problem persists even with no exceptions checked.

Thanks for your kind response, Max. It helped a lot!

"Max Goldman" <maxgoldman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"George" <someone@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Update:

I investigated the firewall settings and...

I had some programs checked as "not to be firewalled" exceptions.

Since I have removed all exceptions, the message has not (yet) popped up.

Could it be that this is the expected behavior when exceptions are
entered?

DUH!

George
"George" <someone@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
On my XP (home/mediacenter edition) system, I have the Windows Firewall
on
and AVG (free) installed. It worked for the longest time.

My OS is on auto-update.

AVG reports no viruses. It is up to date.

It started this summer ... sometime in July.

The only thing unusual is that I installed the auto-run fix that came
out
this summer. That particular fix was downloaded for installation
repeatedly for about a month. Finally it seems to have taken.

George

"Malke" <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
George wrote:

From time to time the message "no firewall is turned on" click this
balloon to fix comes up.

Not at startup.

At seemingly random intervals. As if something is turning the
firewall
off and then immediately back on.

When I _do_ click the balloon (I have to be quick)I find that the
firewall
is turned ON.

Is this

a) a bug?
b) a worry?

In any case how do I stop this minor annoyance?

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what
changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Answer The Second Question first.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: message "no firewall is turned on" (update)
    ... I investigated the firewall settings and... ... I had some programs checked as "not to be firewalled" exceptions. ... The only thing unusual is that I installed the auto-run fix that came ... Answer The Second Question first. ...
  • Re: message "no firewall is turned on"
    ... I investigated the firewall settings and... ... Since I have removed all exceptions, the message has not popped up. ... The only thing unusual is that I installed the auto-run fix that came out ... The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: ...
  • Re: message "no firewall is turned on"
    ... I investigated the firewall settings and... ... Since I have removed all exceptions, the message has not popped up. ... The only thing unusual is that I installed the auto-run fix that came out ... The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: ...
  • Re: ActiveSync 4.1 Treo 700
    ... there *are* four AS applications listed in the exceptions list and Allow ... Exceptions is enabled for the firewall (or I guess that Don't Allow ... This will open a Windows ... > No. I'm not running any network software. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Strange XP Firewall issue with GPO
    ... If so, in Control Panel, Windows Firewall, the "Don't allow exceptions" with have a check mark and it will be "greyed out" even for administrators. ... If you want to prevent local administrators from adding exceptions, set these settings to Disabled in the GPO: ... 135 TCP IPv4 ...