Re: Microsoft warns of serious security hole

"AliceZ" <AliceZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Is there any way that we will be able to tell what the KB number will be
of
the "fix" that is "supposed" to fix this "error."
I already installed the "FixItt" 50287," and wonder IF there is a KB fix
for
this "problem," will it be 'picked-up' by MS when I do a Critical Update?
By
that I mean, will I still get a KB "fix" for the original problem if I
already installed the "FixIt"?
Or, will I still get a KB (critical) update and then I will have to
uninsall
the "FixIt" 50287 by using the "Uninstall" program 50288?
Just confusing and hope I am making this clear.
========================
"Jim" wrote:

Replies inline---
"AliceZ" <AliceZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you Jim:

You said: "By the way, you should download the removal tool because if
and
when MS provides a security update for ths problem, you may need to
remove
the hotfix first."

#1- If MS did provide a security update for this problem, how would we
know
and how would we know to remove the FixIt (hotfix) file that we
installed?
You would read the documentation for the update to determine what you
should
do. Possibly other users need to know and have already asked.

#2- When we download the FixIt tool, do we just click on the
"MSFixIt50287.msi" to run/execute it? Will the "msi" file execute and
do
"it's thing"?\
Yes. It took about 2 minutes on this computer to install the hotfix.
MSFixIt50288.msi removes the hotfix.
Jim

======================
"Jim" wrote:

"AliceZ" <AliceZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
hank you MowGreen:

What does this mean (which was on he FixIt page):

"Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you
are
finished with this article. If the problem is not fixed, you can
contact
support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus) ."

What problem are they referring to? I never had a 'problem.' I just
read
that everyone with WinXP (sp3) should download the FixIt file and
execute
it.

Yes, your computer had a problem; you just didn't realize that it did.

The FixIt file added registry items which are supposed to prevent the
recently discovered security hole from existing anymore. A security
hole
is
a definite problem especially when no one realizes its existence.

That message is a canned page which MS adds to nearly all of its hot
fixes.

By the way, you should download the removal tool because if and when
MS
provides a security update for ths problem, you may need to remove the
hotfix first.

Jim
<snip>

MS is supposed to release an update to fix this problem on July 14. As they
are well aware of the hotfix, perhaps the installation instructions will
describe what, if anything, the user should do before installing this
update.

People should read the July 09 Security Bulletin for additional information.

Jim

  • Re: Microsoft warns of serious security hole
    ... you should download the removal tool because if ... when MS provides a security update for ths problem, ... and how would we know to remove the FixIt (hotfix) file that we installed? ...
  • Re: Microsoft warns of serious security hole
    ... when MS provides a security update for ths problem, ... and how would we know to remove the FixIt (hotfix) file that we installed? ... It took about 2 minutes on this computer to install the hotfix. ...
  • Re: Microsoft warns of serious security hole
    ... when MS provides a security update for ths problem, ... and how would we know to remove the FixIt (hotfix) file that we ... It took about 2 minutes on this computer to install the hotfix. ...
  • Re: Subsequent hotfixes
    ... The install should be clever enough to keep the newest file. ... > hotfix described in KB835517. ... > the last security update ... > What happens if I install the security update first, ...
  • Re: QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
    ... Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP ... Scroll down and tell us if the following is listed and the install ... This hotfix should be reinstalled. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)