Re: Please advise regarding virus problem

From: "MowGreen" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have learned in the last several hours that this is a "false positive,"
and that CA is working on a "fix." But here's a question which an online
tech support person was unable to answer. Since 35 system files were
"quarantined," and I have subsequently run System File Checker (three
times), Should assume that the "missing" files have been restored. In that
case, should I not "restore" the files from the CA Quarantine list? Or
should I delete them?

| How to fix your XP machine after CaAV broke it
| http://homeofficeforum.ca.com/homeofficeforum/showthread.php?t=4868

| " first off, update to signature file 6606

| 2. turn off real time protection (real time scanner)

| 3. restore the files from the quarintine (windows will complain that the
| file is not genuine, this is because it was "modified" and the checksum
| for the file has changed, it does not mean the file is different or
| broken, tell windows to use it anyway) *after reboot if windows is still
| angry, you will need to go to microsoft.com and find the download for XP
| service pack 3 to fully restore modified or deleted files. none of the
| affected files should prevent your machine from starting up, though it
| may complain a bit.

| 4. turn the scanner back on but keep the "clean" and "quarintine" boxes
| unchecked for the moment

| 5. scan your windows directory and everything inside, if there are no
| problems you can return to your normal AV settings and hope Ca buys a xp
| machine to check new sig files on "

| MowGreen
| ===============
| *-343-* FDNY
| Never Forgotten
| ===============

Thanx.

I was just reading this was a BIG FP problem.

--
Dave

  • Re: Any GIMP users (Linux)
    ... it's better than the Windows 95/98/SE/ME model. ... that has nothing whatsoever to do with the security model. ... deal to trash all the user files as it is to trash the system files. ... hour--install a rump XP, run restore, and then reboot. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Very Strange Problem
    ... I tried to roll back to a restore point, but it won't let me rollback to any ... me but it bugs me to death if there's a problem that I can't fix on my PC. ... think of doing is just reinstalling Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Restore from C prompt
    ... It's not necessarlily a really simple task, and won't fix your ... You are very wrong about Windows, though you can perhaps run System Restore ... from the command prompt. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Keep getting error message: windows explorer needs to close?
    ... If "System Restore" doesn't cure your problem then try ... restoring your System files using a small command on your ... If you have access to a FULL version CD of Windows XP you ... any corrupt system files using scannow sfc. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OE files & My docs when upgrading C:
    ... Trueimage image onto the new HHD it will still know where all the files ... Windows is not going to find My Docs address books and OE ... Obviously I can restore copies of ... My objective, to try to be clear, is to keep system files separate from user ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)