Re: Admin Rights

thanks I will try that next weekend when i see them again
Trish

"Malke" wrote:

trish6150 wrote:

Hi there,
I was giving my old laptop with XP away and created a new user with admin
rights and was trying to rename the computer to the other person, so
thought i would change my authority from admin to limited.
I logged off and then tried to log on again as the new person, but it
didn't recognise the name so I can only log back on as me as limited
access. Is there a way I can change my authority back to admin rights, or
is there a way I can log on somehow as an administrator and find the other
user name I created and re-set my name as admin rights.

How do I then change the computer name to the new person so it doesn't
have my name everywhere.

thanks very much in advance

The smartest thing to do is do a clean install of Windows before you give it
to someone else. Make sure you also give the recipient the Windows XP
install disk and any other software that came with the system.

Otherwise log into the built-in Administrator account and delete all the
user accounts. Make a new one for your friend. But really you should do a
clean install.

In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping
the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right
menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here. Once
in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. The
default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen, do
Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: I can not log onto anything
    ... The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus status of the machine? ... Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here. ... Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Windows XP password
    ... to start windows under his user name. ... Administrator account and going to Control Panel -> User Accounts to change the ... restart the computer and boot into Safe Mode. ... Ultimate Boot CD for Windows® ...
  • Re: Forgot Windows Password
    ... I have a friend who has forgotten his Windows sign on ... I have never used a Windows sign on Password, ... Administrator account and going to Control Panel -> User ... keyboard to select Safe Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • RE: Windows explorer/start menu crashes in administrator account
    ... I suggest you first restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if this issue ... Safe Mode is a method of starting Windows by using only ... the default settings and minimum device drivers are not causing the issue. ... Windows explorer/start menu crashes in administrator account ...
  • Re: adminitrator account
    ... users with admin rights are able to start in safe mode. ... If you are able to start in safe mode, and your name is listed, then you ... administrator account, your account is a User Account with administrative ... >i have no access to administrator account. ...