Re: wifi file sharing security

hiprakhar wrote:
Hi friends,

hope you are in the best of your healths.

Here it goes- I have a desktop and a laptop sharing a common internet.
The desktop is "wired" to router and laptop is connected via "wifi" to
same router.

I also share files and data between the 2 computers over LAN (not
internet). And I have allowed root sharing of the drives in both
computer.

What more can I do to secure my files and data while sharing between
the 2 systems and also from the internet??????

Its working fine. The problem is, the people next door are smart. So I
want adequate security measures to prevent misuse of my internet
connection and access to my files and data on both computer to
outsiders.

Measures already take:
1) I have enabled WPA2 only wireless security to router, given a
strong password

Good

2) changed the default username and password of the router, to a very
strong one.

Also good

The three most basic wireless security precautions, none of which you've mentioned:

1) Disable SSID broadcasting. This makes it harder for outsiders to detect your network.

2) In addition to changing the wireless router's default admin username and password, change all of the default IP addresses, both the default DHCP server address and the DHCP range used.

3) Enable MAC filtering, so only computers that *you* specify by MAC Address can connect to the router.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

  • Re: No files showing
    ... On the wireless I can pick up the network, get on the internet but I can't ... Let's start by looking at "ipconfig /all" from both computers. ... The router is a Dlink 524, ...
  • Re: XP Home: selective folder sharing
    ... Tell me, please, why haven't you gotten broadband, and a SOHO router? ... A NAT router will protect all three computers, and share internet service to all ... All computers will be safer. ...
  • Re: Internet connection sharing on a LAN
    ... >>I have connected the two pc's in my house using a hub and 2 network cards, ... >>one pc has the internet it's broadband and it has an external broadband modem ... >But, with broadband, and 2 computers, connecting the two computers with a router ... The router will block any malicious internet ...
  • Re: simple question 2
    ... ADSL modem unless you have a router, ... computers has two NICs, and you have Internet Connection ... Sharing working. ...
  • Re: simple question 2
    ... >internet involved at all. ... The quickest way to connect your computers would be with a cross-over cable. ... Connecting the two computers with a router is the responsible solution. ...