Re: Windows SteadyState Setup in XP SP3

Maybe the FAQ would help
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d130662-c084-4356-906f-426bc814582a&DisplayLang=en

There used to be a detailed handbook available for an earlier version, but
it seems to have been pulled. Clicking on the Handbook link on

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

leads to a page saying there isn't one.

"Robert" <cool_groove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'ma Hyper Technologies (Faronics) Deep Freeze user and I'm experimenting
with Windows SteadyState v.2.5 in a shared use environment. I'm using
Windows
XP Home computers in a network. (BIG mistake! I got Home Edition for its
entertainment features. But, I wish I'd gotten Pro for its ease of
Administration and flexibility.) I'm trying to compare the features and
the
ease of use of SteadyState and Deep Freeze before deploying one of them.
However, I've read the FAQs and I still have some questions.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can SteadyState lock down specific user accounts and not others on a
system drive? I'd like to lock down all the Limited account users, and
leave
the Local Administrators' accounts alone. If so, how do you accomplish
this?

[Note: I ask this question because I installed SteadyState to see what the
GUI looks like (and then immediately uninstalled it without making any
changes or setups). I noticed that the only user accounts it inherited
were
the Limited Accounts I had on the system. The Local Administrator account
wasn't included. Is this by design? And, does this address my question
about
only locking down some users?]

2. I see in the Quick Start DEMO that after you install SteadyState, you
create a new User Account. Presumably, this is because SteadyState
maintains
its settings in a seperate User Account. Do you also have to create a
Profile
for this account? And, is this account/profile hidden, similar to the .NET
account in XP? If not, is there a way to hide it from all but the System
Administrator?

3. Finally, I notice that SteadyState can selectively hide such items as
the Control Panel and My Computer from the Start Menu. However, this can
also be accomplished in other ways, such as with the "Start Menu |
Properties
| Customize.. | Advanced" tab. The problem with this function is that even
though these links are hidden on the Start Menu (e.g., Control Panel),
they're still visible in the left-hand pane or Menu Bar of most Windows
Explorer windows. Does SteadyState do a better job of completely hiding
ALL
such links? If not, is there a better way to accomplish this so that
nobody
but the System Administrator can access them, no matter how they access
the
system?

Thanks in advance for you help!

  • Re: Password Change
    ... If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. ... If you don't have another account like this set up or don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in Administrator account. ... If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Password Change
    ... If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account ... normally hidden Administrator account. ... In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. ... Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Secure Logon and Windows Help Instructions
    ... Windows XP HELP indicates that Secure Logon can be turned on and off by ... the ADVANCED tab in User Accounts. ... and the computer can't be configured to log on an account automatically. ... I notice that I have an "Administrator" account ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: SP2 and rebooting
    ... That should bring up the old style Windows login ... If you know the administrator account password, ... If you can gain access, go to Control Panel, User Accounts, and see if your ...
  • Re: Loss of Administrator User
    ... Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen ... When I try to access the Administrator account while in Safe Mode it is ... Are you logging on with an account that has Administrator permissions?? ... Safe Mode to access the Administrator account in User Accounts. ...