Re: new firewall alerts

Could my having "upgraded" to I.E.8 recently and then removed it and
manually installed I.E. 7 be the cause of the new alerts?

Jeff

"Mark Brown" <secured2k_anti_spam_@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,

First an explanation of the message you are receiving...
The firewall has blocked local network access to you computer [TCP Port
2869] from 192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1][TCP Port 2175]{TCP Flags: S]

192.168.x.x is a private network block and in this case most likely is
your own router (192.168.1.1).
It is sending a SYN packet (TCP Flags: S) to try to open a connection
using the router's temporary port range incrementally (port 2175, 2176,
2177, ect).
That SYN packet to open a connection is going to your computer's port
TCP/2869. This port has been known to be used by Microsoft Windows
Universal Plug and Play (Automatic configuration of network devices,
including computers, routers, and firewall settings).

I have no idea what really changed in your configuration that would allow
you to see such messages but this seems to be either a configuration error
of ZoneAlarm or something turned on Universal Plug and Play in your
computer and/or router recently.

<Jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi I am on a laptop running XP SP3, and have recently been getting
repeated Security Alerts from my Zone Alarm firewall. I was at the time
traveling and thought that the insecure hotel networks might have been
the problem, but I am now back home - using my home wireless network
which connects to the internet via a router - and I am still getting
these alerts.

The alerts inform me that ZA has blocked incoming access to my PC and
have the following text:

1. The firewall has blocked local network access to you computer [TCP
Port 2869] from 192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1][TCP Port 2175]{TCP Flags: S]

2. same but with [TCP Port 2176]

3. same but with [TCP Port 2177]

What if anything should I do about this? I know I did not get these
alerts before I set out on this trip. I've checked for malware and for
viruses and am apparently clean.

I have no idea what TCP Port 2176, 2177, or 2178 represent.

Jeff

  • Re: complicated remote
    ... office/work network administrators to do this. ... It then goes to a Linksys Router that acquires it. ... >> Basically you need to port forward TCP Port 3389 through the ADSL modem, ... >> DHCP router and the Linksys router. ...
  • Re: VPN
    ... For PPTP VPN, which I presume your using, you need both TCP Port 1723 forwarded to the VPN server ... private LAN IP address and have GRE Protocol 47 traffic enabled through the router. ... > pear to pear network, ...
  • Re: new firewall alerts
    ... I have no idea what really changed in your configuration that would allow you to see such messages but this seems to be either a configuration error of ZoneAlarm or something turned on Universal Plug and Play in your computer and/or router recently. ... I was at the time traveling and thought that the insecure hotel networks might have been the problem, but I am now back home - using my home wireless network which connects to the internet via a router - and I am still getting these alerts. ... The firewall has blocked local network access to you computer [TCP Port ...
  • new firewall alerts
    ... Security Alerts from my Zone Alarm firewall. ... The firewall has blocked local network access to you computer [TCP Port ...
  • Re: Statistical Anomaly Analysis? (was: a bunch of things)
    ... > intrusion on your network environment. ... but those aren't the people complaining about too many alerts. ... > the point of an intrusion detection system. ... If you disagree with my suggestion about disabling alerts then how do ...
    (Focus-IDS)