Re: NAT and firewall tests

Pardon my highjack here, but doesn't your IP address change if reboot your
computer, or disconnect from web? I'm referring to a DSL connection.

If so, would that provide some kind of security in itself?

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Just about any firewall test will 'shoot through NAT.'

Network Address Translation prevents an unsolicited attempt at discovering
your IP address. However, when you initiate contact with a website--as in
'I want you to test my computer'--you're telling the router to let the
response into your network.

Firewall tests are directed at software firewalls.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

ToddAndMargo wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to test my firewall, but have a NAT box
between me and the various firewall tests I know
of. Anyone know of a firewall test that shoots
through NAT?

Many thanks,
-T

  • Re: NAT and firewall tests
    ... I'm referring to a DSL connection. ... What about those folks who never disconnect (broadband connections are ... Firewall tests are directed at software firewalls. ... I would like to test my firewall, but have a NAT box ...
  • Re: firewall test and NAT
    ... I would like to test my firewall, but have a NAT box ... between me and the various firewall tests I know ... fake DMZ IP address, just map the DMZ to the same IP as your computer. ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: firewall test and NAT
    ... ToddAndMargo wrote: ... I would like to test my firewall, but have a NAT box ... between me and the various firewall tests I know ... Open a port in the box or temporarily disable/bypass the NAT box for your tests. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)