Re: Can't Get Updates

DavidB wrote:
Whenever I try to get updates for Windows XP from the website I get
the error code 0X80070002. I've tried all the "fixes" I could find
on the Microsoft website and a couple from the web but nothing has
worked. I downloaded SP3 and tried to install as my usual user and
got an "Access Denied" message but install went OK as Adminstrator
- but still no updates. Any help gratefully received.

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Download/Install the latest Windows Installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

If it seemed to have failed, do this:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • RE: Lost My Desktop
    ... Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. ... Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you ... Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) ... [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: i cant update windows!
    ... > download, but at the very end of the process it says that the ... I havent been able to get any updates ... First - cleanup your machine and ready it for Service Pack 2. ... Then install Service Pack 2 from the downloaded install file (not the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 0x80240020, anyone find a solution yet?
    ... Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ... >> The only suggested workaround from MS is to allow the updates to ... >> Suggest you download the executable and save it to the Desktop ... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows updates fail after install of SP2
    ... Curiously, now it says I only have one download security download left, ... For some reason I don't have a WindowsUpdate.log file in the Windows ... Are the updates now showing in Add/Remove Programs in the Control ... automatically download and install updates but that didn't seem to do ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cannot installl updates
    ... Installing Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)