Re: Restore Default System Security Settings for XP Home

Mitch wrote:

Hi,
I have XP home. I got a virus that has locked down components of the
computer. I get a access denied when trying to do administrative stuff.
Is there a way to Restore Default System Security Settings for XP Home. I
saw the following command line to do it, but it doesn't work for XP home.
"secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
/verbose"

At this point, your best course of action is to back up your data and do a
clean install of Windows. If you want to spend time on this instead, get
guided help at one of the specialty forums listed below.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075 (FAQ)
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: After running spyware - XP wont let me boot - keeps logging out
    ... I guess my main concern is and STILL WILL BE if I have a virus on the ... the terminal window, there is no need to put "sudo" in front of the command. ... The reason you'll want to know the name of the AV scanner, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: viruses, spyware, hijackers, I am losing my mind!
    ... Instead of doing a clean install of the OP, ... restore feature, clean the virus or worm according to ... If you already have a viruses or worm, and they are repeating, the best ... Next download Ad-Aware Se Personal ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Trojan Flush M
    ... I am running Norton Anti - Virus and it has reported that i have a virus ... instructed me to restart windows in safe mode and then a full scan. ... I suggest you do a clean install of Windows. ... shop. ...
  • Re: ***NEED HELP PLEASE***
    ... clean install of Windows XP. ... he downloaded had a virus in it and now i cant ctrl+alt+del and pull up my ... I had my friend do a file transfer from her computer to ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: "unable to use windos update......" 22/6/2004
    ... The problem with a clean install is the existing data ... >> removal tool on the Symantec website did not work even ... >> corrupted so I ran the on site checkers from Symantec, ... >> to purchase their virus checker to go any further. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)